Friday, December 13, 2013

[BLOG] I will always #Louvre you, #MonaLisa and #Barnacles at #Aupassage

9/12/13. On Wednesday, we woke up and went to the Lourve. We spent about 4 hours there and got consumed in the beauty of it all. ART. How did our society preserve all this art over the centuries? What compelled them to preserve some and leave other pieces behind, luck? Was it the status of the artist back in the day? Is there a specific type of art that speaks to the majority of our society which was the deciding factor of which pieces to keep? Is it just good marketing? We joined the crowd waiting to take a photo with Mona Lisa. One painting of one woman causes an endless swarm of "paparazzi" on a daily basis. I thought I was going to see a dead human body or the ghost of Marilyn Monroe when I made it to the front of the red rope. Mona Lisa. Who was she? She smiled at me, I swear. 

One piece almost brought me to tears by Anne-Louis_Girodet_de_Roussy-Trioson called, "The Entombment of Atala. I interpret it as a story of unrequited love, a Romeo and Juliet story. I saw Atala as a woman who wanted to do good. Then she fell in love, which was against her righteous path, so she drank poison only to find out that her vow of chastity can be uplifted, but then she died and it was all miscommunication. I commend her for sticking to the path she chose for herself. Her commitment wasn't to her lover, it was to a promise she's lived up to until she died. That my friend, is what I call commitment. However, it was a bit fickle for the church to tell her that she can suddenly be free from her vow of chastity. If they told her that in the first place, then she wouldn't have taken the poison. Side note: Love is about an even exchange of energy. As long as the two of you balance eachother, keep on truckin'. 

After the Louve, we went to Champs Alyesees and bought Pierre Herme Macrons and Mcdonald's (disgusting). I love McDonald's, but the Paris menu is not my favorite. We took the train To Au Passage(details below) and had  a thrilling dinner. Oysters, barnacles, wine pairing, Blood sausage, veal tongue, salted egg broccoli leaves, cucumber and béer with burrata. My favorite dish was the barnacles. I felt like we were eating Queen Ursula's tentacles. To view a wonderful collage from the dining experience, please view Katrina's Instagram: kat_uh_roo's photo http://instagram.com/p/eTPs8WAWaW/

I would describe the taste of barnacles as a hybrid of a sea clam and a lobster tail. It's probably the scariest looking thing that anybody could ever eat and does not look appetizing. However, if paired with a great red wine and vinegar dipping sauce, it's the best thing since lobster tail. 

Au Passage

No comments:

Post a Comment